Looking for a fun, nature inspired Halloween craft for preschoolers and toddlers? Try Spooky eyes!
This Halloween craft encourages you to get outside, flex your creativity, and learn a little science in the process!
More Halloween Activities for Preschoolers + Toddlers 2022:
How To Do Spooky Eyes Halloween Craft:
- Paint brushes
- Regular paint
- Glow in the dark paint
Step 1: Collect rocks
Get outside for a nature walk and collect some eyeball (ish) shaped rocks.
You can also use other nature items of various shapes that would be easy to paint.
Step 2: Paint your base
Bring your rocks inside, wash them off and let them dry. Then using regular paint, paint your base coat of white. Let it dry. Then paint a couple layers of glow in dark paint over it, let dry again.
NOTE: You can skip the base cot of regular paint and just use the glow in dark paint as a base, it may just take more layers.
Step 3: Paint your eye
Once your rocks have dried from the previous step, use regular paint to paint your eyeball design.
Break the design into easy steps for toddlers/preschoolers just learning to draw shapes. For instance, I taught my daughter to start with a circle, then draw squiggly lines coming out.
You can use glow in the dark paint again for the pupil.
Step 4: Bring into a dark room!
Once your spooky eyes are dry, bring them into a dark room to watch the magic happen!
This is a great chance to answer inquisitive toddlers and preschool questions about why some paint glows and others don't.
Phosphorescence is a type of photoluminescence which can absorb energy from a light source, causing the electrons to spin and store the energy for a longer period of time creating a “glow in the dark” effect as it release the store energy.
This Halloween craft is a ton of fun for preschoolers and toddlers. It works concentration and early writing skills while providing a whimsical touch to a science lesson.
All in all, these were a huge hit with my kids and they love using the eyes as “night lights”.
Don't forget to grab the Halloween activity sheet bundle for even more quick activities! Use code HBLOG22 for 10% off when you click here!
Halloween Activities For Toddlers
- Halloween Activities For Toddlers: Sensory Learning
- 21 Free Printable Halloween Color Pages + Activities For Kids
- Apple Stamped Pumpkin Craft For Young Children
- Halloween Fingerprint Art
- Wormy Witches' Brew
- Spatula Pumpkin Craft!
- Feelings Pumpkins Halloween Activity
- Spooky Eyes Halloween Craft
- How Do You Make A Witch Hat Out Of Paper?
- How To Set Up A FAST Halloween Sensory Paint Activity For Toddler
- Halloween Matching Game – Free Printable for Toddlers + Preschool Kids
- Masking Tape Mummy Craft
- Spider Halloween Playdough Kit Idea
- Halloween Oobleck Recipe: Witches Brew
- Montessori Glue Box Halloween Craft: Making Monsters
- Halloween Activity For Toddlers Learning Colors: Feed The Monsters!
- Halloween Counting Activity: A Ghostly Matching Game!
- Room On The Broom Activity For Preschool Kids: Gross Motor + Printable PDF
- Witch’s Brew: Potion Station | Halloween Sensory Play Activity For Toddlers + Kids
- Witches Brew Halloween Soap Foam Sensory Bin Activity
- Pumpkin Patch Number + Letter Activity For Preschool Kids
- Montessori Pumpkin Activity: Smashing Pumpkins!
- It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown Halloween Activity For Toddlers + Preschoolers: Fine Motor Skills!
- Halloween STEM Activity: Fizzy Potion
- Cobweb Spider Rescue
More Halloween Toddler Ideas:
- 100 Halloween Books For Babies to Pre-K
- The Ultimate List of Halloween Movies [100+ from Scary to Not-So-Scary!]
- The Ultimate List Of 59 Halloween TV Shows From Not-So-Scary To Scary [+ Where To Stream]
- BEST Dollar Tree Halloween DIYs To Try This Year
More Baby + Toddler Activities
- How To Make Oobleck
- How To Make Colored Pasta For Sensory Play | Easy Rainbow Spaghetti Recipe
- How To Make Foam | EASY SENSORY PLAY BUBBLE FOAM RECIPE
- How To Make Playdough
- 7 At Home Toddler Activities With Household Items You Already Own
- Developmental Activities For Newborns 0-3 Months Old
- 5 Ways To Use Grapes For Sensory Play With Toddlers: Taste Safe, Edible, Food Activities I Do With My 15 Month Old