Finding the best shoes for pregnancy can feel overwhelming as it seems your body changes every day!
It’s inevitable that during your pregnancy you’re going to want to switch up your footwear. As you get further along, you’ll probably want to keep heels lower since your hormones and center of gravity changes. And thanks to the lovely side effect of swelling, you’ll also want maternity shoes that can accommodate your feet which feel like they are changing by the hour some days.
- Best Pregnancy Shoes
- Most Affordable Slip On Walking Shoes During Pregnancy: TIOSEBON
- Best Breathable Flats For Swollen Pregnancy Feet: Allbirds Women's Tree Breezers Ballet flat
- Best Supportive Slip On Walking Sneakers for Pregnancy: Dr. Scholl's Shoes Women's Madison Sneaker
- Best Wide Walking Shoes For Pregnancy: Skechers Women’s Go Walk Joy
- Most Comfortable Slip On Shoes For Pregnancy: Birdies
- Best Supportive Shoes for Pregnancy Back Pain + Foot Pain: Orthofeet Proven Sneakers
- Overall Best Sneakers For Pregnancy: New Balance Women's FuelCore Nergize V1 Sneaker
- Best Comfortable Sneakers For Pregnancy: Allbirds Women's Wool Runners
- Best Running Shoes For Pregnancy: ASICS Women's Gel-Venture 7 Trail Running Shoes
- Best Non Slip Shoes For Pregnancy: Crocs Women's Specialist Clog | Work Shoes (Nursing Shoes )
- Best Non Slip Ballet Flats For Pregnancy: Crocs Women's Busy Day Flats
- Best Work Shoes For Pregnancy: MAYPIE Womens Flat Mules
- Best Slippers For Pregnancy: ULTRAIDEAS Women's Cozy Memory Foam House Shoes w/Indoor, Outdoor Anti-Skid Rubber Sole
- Best Boots For Swollen Pregnancy Feet During Winter: Uggs
- Best Sandals For Pregnancy During Summer: Birkenstock Women's Arizona
- Best Flip-Flop Alternative Sandals For Pregnancy: Earth Runners
- Flip Flop Alternative Runner Up: Sanuk Sandals
- Tips For Buying Shoes While Pregnant
- FAQS About Maternity Shoes
- Final Thoughts:
Of course, don’t forget that towards the end you won’t be able to see your feet! So, shoes that you can easily slip on are going to be clutch. Consider these stylish and comfortable shoes during pregnancy:
Most Affordable Slip On Walking Shoes During Pregnancy: TIOSEBON
A cushiony soft insole, a slip-on style, and an impressive color range make Tiosebon Women’s Athletic Walking Shoes one of the best pregnancy shoes. Plus, the affordable price point means you can stock up on a few styles and rock these into postpartum.
The soft mesh fabric upper offers plenty of give for those days when your feet are swollen. Best of all it means that they’re also breathable. You’ll also get plenty of arch support, and a non-slip sole for added stability. Here's just a few of the color options (click here for them all!):
- Wide color range
- Stretchy mesh upper is ideal for swollen feet
- Arch support and cushioned insole
- Run small, may need to size up
Best Breathable Flats For Swollen Pregnancy Feet: Allbirds Women's Tree Breezers Ballet flat
As if swollen feet weren’t enough, pregnancy also means that you might sweat more than before you were expecting. That means that a good pair of breathable shoes that won’t make you feel like your feet are in a swamp is essential.
The Allbirds Women’s Tree Breezers are a pair of cozy flats that feature an upper made from breathable eucalyptus tree fibers. The ballet flat has a non-skid sole and a merino wool insole that aids in moisture-wicking and odor reduction. They come in 12 colors (click here to see them all!)
- Sustainably designed
- Breathable upper and insole
- Wide color range
- May run small
Best Supportive Slip On Walking Sneakers for Pregnancy: Dr. Scholl's Shoes Women's Madison Sneaker
Hands down, Dr. Scholl’s is known for foot care. So, if you’re concerned about getting enough support, you can’t go wrong with the Dr. Scholl's Madison Sneaker. This cute slip-on style features a microfiber upper and a memory foam insole insert for added comfort.
We like that these shoes feature twin goring panels which give you a bit of stretch to accommodate your fluctuating feet. However, we did note that a common complaint was that these shoes may not hold up if you’re wearing them as a daily go-to option. Depending on where you shop them, they come in a wide array of colors/styles:
- Memory foam insole insert
- Goring panels for added stretch
- Slip-on style
- Soles may wear down quickly if worn as a regular go-to shoe
Best Wide Walking Shoes For Pregnancy: Skechers Women’s Go Walk Joy
Skechers is known for creating shoes designed to keep your feet comfortable all day long. One of the best Skechers shoes for pregnancy is the Go Walk Joy Walking Shoe! Thanks to the responsive 5Gen cushioning and Goga Max high rebound insole. We like that these shoes are available in narrow, medium, and wide widths.
The slip-on style makes getting in and out of them a breeze. Meanwhile, you’ll like that these shoes are machine washable — just in case you love them a bit too much. Plus we like the breathable fabric uppers that have plenty of give for swollen and tired feet.
Depending on where you shop them they come in a wide array of colors, here are just a few options:
- Ultimate cushioning for tired, achy feet
- Machine washable for added durability
- Breathable fabric upper has stretch
- Common complaint centered around inconsistent sizing
Most Comfortable Slip On Shoes For Pregnancy: Birdies
Pregnancy doesn’t mean that you have to give up on being stylish. So, for those days when you want to remind them that you’re a fashion queen, The Starling from Birdies is a great choice. This cute slip-on loafer features a suede upper and a non-slip rubber sole for added traction.
We love the wide range of colors and sizes from 5 to 12. More importantly, Birdies is known for its supportive shoes that feature a seven-layer insole. This includes a dual-layer high-density memory foam layer, as well as shock absorption and arch and heel support.
- Stylish design ideal for day to night looks
- Non-slip rubber sole and seven-layer insole
- Wide color selection
- Some of the seasonal colors may not be “true to color” as depicted on website
Best Supportive Shoes for Pregnancy Back Pain + Foot Pain: Orthofeet Proven Sneakers
If you entered pregnancy already experiencing foot problems, then finding shoes that are comfortable and don’t further irritate those issues is critical. For people with plantar fasciitis, bunions, or other types of foot or heel pain looking for relief, the Orthofeet Orthopedic Walking Shoes should be on your shortlist.
And even if these specific shoes don’t speak to you, this brand offers multiple styles all intended to soothe achy feet during pregnancy and beyond!
While they’re only available in four colors, these shoes are all about comfort. The stretchable upper pairs with a wide toe-box and serious cushioning throughout the sole. Along with heel cushioning, you’ll also get anatomical arch support and an ergonomic sole. Plus there’s extra padding in the back of the shoe.
- Ideal for serious foot pain
- Enhanced cushioning throughout the sole
- Stretchy upper and wider toe-box
- Limited color selection
Overall Best Sneakers For Pregnancy: New Balance Women's FuelCore Nergize V1 Sneaker
Whether you’re browsing your favorite baby store, hitting the gym for a low-impact workout, or walking around town, New Balance Women’s FuelCore Nergize Sneakers are a great all-around choice for comfortable walking sneakers or atheltic shoes. We like the fabric upper which features a stretchy gore panel to accommodate your changing feet.
While these are technically lace-ups, that gore panel means you can tie them once and then treat them like slip-ons. These athletic shoes also feature a rubber sole with plenty of tread so you can walk with confidence. Plus the memory sole insert adds additional comfort for tired feet. You’ll like the large color selection with over 30 options available depending on where you shop. Here are just a few styles:
- Can convert to slip-ons
- Memory sole insert
- Stretchy fabric upper
- Fit may be difficult for people with wide feet
- Soles may wear out quickly
Best Comfortable Sneakers For Pregnancy: Allbirds Women's Wool Runners
Who doesn’t love the idea of a soft and comfy shoe — especially if it comes with plenty of breathability during pregnancy? The Allbirds Women’s Wool Runners are designed to be your go-to sneaker for errands and everyday wear. Along with featuring a flexible Merino wool upper, you’ll like that these are designed to be moisture-wicking — essential for pregnant mamas who run hot.
While not technically a slip-on, you can tie the laces to your preference and then treat them as slip-ons. Best of all, we like that these shoes feature an ethically produced sole that’s made using Brazilian sugarcane for a carbon-negative green EVA alternative. We've had Allbirds for years and they hold up! They are also machine washable!
They come in over 15 colors, here are just a few:
- Sustainably produced
- Breathable Merino wool upper
- Large color range
- Machine washable
- Some women may want a more supportive insole if doing heavy walking
Best Running Shoes For Pregnancy: ASICS Women's Gel-Venture 7 Trail Running Shoes
Whether you were a runner pre-baby and want to continue running through pregnancy, or are just looking for a comfortable and supportive shoes for long walks or trails during pregnancy, these ASICS Women’s Gel-Venture Running Shoes are a great choice for pregnant runners.
We like that these sneakers prioritize shock absorption with a rearfoot GEL technology that helps to reduce shock between strides. The mesh upper offers some give for feet and is also breathable. Depending on where you shop, they come in a wide color selection, here are just a few options:
- Gel insole for shock absorption
- Mesh upper that’s breathable and stretchy
- Rubber sole for enhanced grip
- Some of the colors may not be an exact match to what's seen online
Best Non Slip Shoes For Pregnancy: Crocs Women's Specialist Clog | Work Shoes (Nursing Shoes )
If you're looking for pregnancy work shoes, you need shoes that give you guaranteed stability. The Crocs Specialist Women’s Clog isn’t the most stylish option, it’s designed to provide critical support and keep your feet from getting worn out after hours of standing
Along with being slip-resistant, they’re lightweight and waterproof. They are a great pregnancy nursing shoe for healthcare workers too! You’ll also appreciate the generous fit — meaning they can accommodate any fluctuations such as swollen feet.
Most importantly, these shoes feature ventilating ports, increased arch support, and foam footbeds for added comfort.
- Lightweight and waterproof
- Enhanced cushioning and arch support
- Built-in ventilation
- Functional but not stylish
Best Non Slip Ballet Flats For Pregnancy: Crocs Women's Busy Day Flats
Whether you're looking for a more stylish slip resistant work shoe or simply prefer the added precaution of non-slip shoes while pregnant (we get it!), Croc's Busy Day Ballet Flats are a great option.
Along with a slip-resistant sole, you’ll get foam footbeds, enhanced arch support, and an easy-to-clean pair of shoes.
- Slip-resistant sole
- Built-in foam footbeds and arch support
- Easy to clean exterior
- Sensitive feet may not like the Croc's material
Best Work Shoes For Pregnancy: MAYPIE Womens Flat Mules
If you work in an office environment, casual shoes might not be a good look. These Maypie Women’s Slip On Loafers are great pregnancy shoes for work. They’re stylish yet comfortable, and are an affordable dupe to these Madewell shoes!
If you're looking for wide shoes for pregnancy, these should do the trick! Plus the backless feature makes them easy to slide on and off under your desk. The low heel ensures you won’t struggle to maintain balance in them and the closed pointed to will protect your toes from being stubbed.
They come in a few different prints and colors, from black, white, camel, and cheetah or snake print:
- Comfortable low heel loafer style
- Ideal for wider feet
- Stylish designs perfect for the office
- Whole sizes only; size up
Best Slippers For Pregnancy: ULTRAIDEAS Women's Cozy Memory Foam House Shoes w/Indoor, Outdoor Anti-Skid Rubber Sole
When you’re lounging around the house, comfort should be a priority. These UltraIdeas pregnancy slippers are perfect for relaxing on the couch and binging your favorite shows. The plush interior will leave your feet feeling pampered and they come in 7 color choices!
Meanwhile, you’ll love that these slippers are machine washable. More importantly, you’ll get a durable anti-skid sole which is essential for moms-to-be. And the high-density memory foam insole provides the right amount of cushioning to ease sore feet.
- Soft wool and fleece upper
- Memory foam insole for added comfort
- Machine washable for easy maintenance
- Runs small; size up if you're a half size
Best Boots For Swollen Pregnancy Feet During Winter: Uggs
In the winter, if you live in a region where snow and ice are likely, you want shoes with serious tread to keep you safe when you have to venture outside. You can’t go wrong with the Classic Shearling Lined Short Boot from Ugg; which come in 7 colors!
The cozy shearling interior helps keep you warm even on the coldest of days. Meanwhile, the suede exterior is pretreated to withstand moisture and staining. Most importantly, the sole features sturdy tread to keep you upright.
- Stylish pick for winter or cooler weather
- Warm shearling interior
- Water-resistant upper
Best Sandals For Pregnancy During Summer: Birkenstock Women's Arizona
If you’re going to rock sandals during pregnancy, we can’t stress enough that they should be supportive. Birkenstock Arizona Sandal is a solid choice. The simple design is the perfect slip-on style. But more importantly, the sole features plenty of support.
Depending on where you shop, they come in up to 5 colors and narrow or wide feet sizing options!
You’ll also like that the sole has a proper grip to help you stay steady and on your feet. As you wear these shoes, they mold to your feet, adding to the overall comfort. And the footbed is designed to evenly distribute your weight across the entire foot for better stability. You may need to size up to get a perfect fit depending on how your pregnancy feet are doing!
- Shoes mold to your foot over time
- Supportive insole distributes weight evenly across foot
- Simple slip-on style
- Pricier than other sandals
Best Flip-Flop Alternative Sandals For Pregnancy: Earth Runners
In general, you want to avoid traditional flip flops since they put weird pressure on your big toe and aren't the best for stability. Earth Runners however are one of the coolest sandals on the market for pregnancy, postpartum, motherhood, and beyond as they mimic barefoot walking.
You can even run/hike in them! Making them a perfect pick for transitioning into motherhood and chasing a toddler around eventually! They feature a unique design of Vibram® outsoles for a responsive sure footed experience (think barefoot walking), plus copper and stainless steel earthing system allows you to ground to Earth wherever you are (this basically soothes the nervous system, another huge win for mama's!).
Beyond that, they are vegan, GOTS certified, and their ergonomic laces are secure. They offer plenty of education and even a printable sizing guide to make sure you get your order right!
While Earth Runners are probably one of the most stable and secure sandals on the market, making them a great pick for pregnancy shoes, if you aren't used to barefoot walking then you may need to transition into them slowly. For instance, don't wear them for an all day outing if you're used to wearing Nike's or plushy sandals. Instead, start with a quick trip to the grocery store, or walk to the end of the street for a few days.
- Replicates barefoot walking
- Secure and stable design
- Depending on foot strength, can run or hike in them
- GOTS certified
- Copping and stainless steel grounding for soothing the nervous system
- May need to slowly transition to this type of footwear
Flip Flop Alternative Runner Up: Sanuk Sandals
If Earth Runners feel like too big of an investment (both financially and in rehabilitating your feet) then you'll love the Sanuk Yoga Sling 2 Sandals offer a nice sling back though for those who like a flip-flop but want more comfort and support.
Available in a wide range of colors depending on where you shop (here are just a few color/print options):
The cushy yoga mat insole conforms to your feet with each wear, giving your feet plenty of space to just exist without constricting straps. Plus the flat sole that’s only ¼” high ensures that you won’t struggle to maintain your balance. The reasonable price means you can stock up on multiple pairs.
- Large color selection
- Stretchy fabric straps
- Cushioned insole
- Good arch support
- Sling back for support
- Do NOT wear to wet places; get slippery/soggy!
- Only available in whole sizes
Tips For Buying Shoes While Pregnant
How to Choose the Best Shoes for Pregnancy
Consider looking for shoes during pregnancy that offer added stability and slip-resistance as hormone changes can lead to increased clumsiness.
Your feet may swell and shift throughout a given day or your pregnancy, so you'll want something that is comfortable for your potentially growing feet. An added bonus, would be easy slip-on and off to let your feet breathe while at work or just to make your life easier while navigating your growing belly.
While actual maternity shoes aren’t a thing, there are smart steps you can take to ensure that you’re picking footwear for pregnancy that’s equal parts fashionable, functional, and comfortable.
FAQS About Maternity Shoes
Should I buy shoes while pregnant?
Absolutely! We can’t stress this enough: your feet may change as you progress through your pregnancy. And even if you’re lucky enough to not have your feet grow, your feet are most likely going to be a little sorer and sweatier as you get farther along.
You may find that your favorite go-to pairs of shoes from before your pregnancy aren’t that comfortable. While this doesn’t mean that you have to overhaul your shoe collection, consider investing in a few pairs of comfy shoes once you’re in your second and third trimesters.
What shoes are best for swollen feet?
We personally love Allbirds and for swollen feet whether you're pregnant or not! They come in a ton of styles, materials, and colors – all of which provide the comfort and breathability swollen pregnancy feet crave!
If you’re struggling with pregnancy-induced swollen feet, consider shoes that feature stretchy materials to accommodate any fluctuations in your feet throughout the day. For example, slip-on casual deck shoes or even walking sneakers usually feature stretchy uppers that offer give for those days when your feet are extra swollen.
Likewise, some sandals can be great choices too. While podiatrists will usually warn against actual flip-flops because they tend to offer little to no arch support, it’s possible to find sandals that offer support like these or ones that mimic barefoot walking like these. Additionally, since there’s not as much material throughout the upper, your swollen feet might not feel as constricted.
Are Crocs good pregnancy shoes?
They may not be the most stylish shoes on the market, but in terms of comfort, support, and slip resistance, they can be a lifesaver.
Regardless of style, almost every Crocs style features a non-skid sole and a cushioned, supportive insole — all things that any mama-to-be’s feet need!
What should you not wear while pregnant?
Without a doubt, once your belly starts seriously growing, put down the high heels. They’re stylish but far too risky for pregnant women.
As we mentioned earlier, as your belly expands, your center of gravity shifts. This means that if you struggle with balance with both feet firmly on the ground, standing on the balls of your feet and trying to teeter around is a recipe for disaster.
Along with potential difficulty balancing is the reality that as you get further along in your pregnancy, your body begins to make a hormone called relaxin, which is intended to loosen your pelvis to prepare for labor and delivery. But it can also lead to increased clumsiness some people believe. It also could mean lower back and leg pain — so high heels can make this scenario worse.
Also, be mindful of flip-flops. While they might seem like a natural go-to, not all flip-flops are equal. If you want to rock this type of shoe during your pregnancy, avoid the basic flip flops that lack any kind of serious insole and are simply flat pieces of material.
Just like with heels, the lack of support can increase a woman’s chances of falling. Instead, make sure that any flip-flops you wear feature arch support and cushioning throughout the insole like these.
How can I turn my current shoes into slip-on maternity shoes?
If you have a pair of pre-pregnancy shoes that you just can’t bear to give up, you can turn them into slip-ons if you use something like the Xpand No Tie Shoelace System. While this won’t necessarily work for zip-up boots, they can turn sneakers and other lace-up style shoes into slip-ons while still holding the shoe securely to your foot.
What are the best shoes to wear while pregnant?
Ideally, you’ll want to look for shoes that are comfortable and supportive. Considering that your feet are experiencing more of a load thanks to pregnancy, you want to make sure that they’re getting as much support as possible.
This means shoes with proper arch support, and a cushioned insole that gives you added comfort. And don’t forget sturdy soles. The last thing you want — especially as your belly grows — is to wear a pair of shoes with minimal to no traction and put you at risk of tripping and falling.
Also keep in mind that as your pregnancy progresses, simple actions like bending over and even seeing your feet are going to become harder or impossible. This means you want a shoe that you can easily slip on without a lot of effort. So, maybe skip the strappy shoes or boots that require a degree in engineering to wear.
Staying comfortable while you’re pregnant is so important, especially for your poor feet. Remember that you need to prioritize support and comfort so picks with good arch support, or even a memory foam insert is a great choice. We think the Tiosebon Women’s Athletic Walking Shoe is a great choice since it’s a simple slip-on style with plenty of insole support — and of course with 30 colors to choose from at an affordable price point.
Beyond that if you want a shoe that will let your feet breathe and last well beyond pregnancy in both style, comfort, and durability we love Allbirds.
And while Birkenstocks are great, when it comes to pregnancy and postpartum sandals Earth Runners are top notch for stability when chasing a toddler around – you can even run/hike in them!
But you really can't go wrong with any of the options on this list:
- Baby Carriers For Breastfeeding Moms
- Books On Attachment Theory
- Bon Charge BluBlox Glasses Review To Improve Sleep
- Designer Purses For Moms With Toddlers
- Nipple Creams for Breastfeeding + Pumping
- Maternity Bras + Nursing Bras
- Maternity Pants For Work + Casual Wear
- Maternity Pajamas
- Maternity Tights
- Maternity Yoga Pants + Leggings
- Postpartum Pads
- Postpartum Underwear
- Pregnancy Journals
- Pregnancy Supplements
- Pregnancy Support Belts
- Probiotics While Pregnant
- Shoes For Pregnancy
- Skincare Products During Pregnancy
- What To Wear After Giving Birth | Best Postpartum Clothes Home From Hospital
- How To Prepare For Labor
- How To Increase Your Odds Of Getting Pregnant
- First Time Mom Simple Birth Plan: Our Vision
- Songs To Make Baby Stop Crying
- How To Get A Amazon Baby Registry Welcome Box for FREE
- Positive Birth Affirmations & What To Avoid [+ FREE PRINTABLE PDF!]
- How To Eat Healthy During Pregnancy [+ What I Eat In A Day While Pregnant]
- 8 First Trimester Symptoms [+ How To Work Through Them]
- Pregnancy Checklist: 15 Things To Do In The Second Trimester
- How To Deal With The Second Trimester of Pregnancy Symptoms
- Pregnancy Checklist: 21 Things To Do In The Third Trimester
- Postpartum Secrets From Midwives You NEED To Know Before Giving Birth
- After Two Pain-Free Natural Births Here Are My 5 Best Tips
- Best Minimalist Baby Registry Checklist: Must Haves + Skips
- HOME BIRTH VS HOSPITAL
- Shaving While Pregnant
- Home Birth Labor and Delivery Story + Vlog
- Fears About Pregnancy + Why It's Okay
- How To Manifest A Baby Girl
- Things They Don't Tell You About Being Pregnant
- Surprise! Pregnancy Announcement To My Husband
- Old Wives Tales Baby Predictions: Gender Reveal!
- How To Calm Anxiety While Pregnant: Personal Experience After A Panic Attack This Pregnancy
- Are Placenta Pills Good For You?
- Trouble Drinking Water During Pregnancy? 5 Tips To Stay Hydrated While Pregnant!
- What I Eat In A Day While Pregnant + Chasing A Toddler
- The VERY BEST Healthy Pregnancy Smoothie with Protein + Spinach!
- Winter Pregnancy Announcement Photos: Baby Number 2
- Positive Natural Birth Story At Hospital With First Baby
- Pregnancy & Body Image: 7 Ways To Love Yourself
- How To Eat Healthy During Pregnancy [+ What I Eat In A Day While Pregnant]