Blue light can have negative effects on our health, especially our sleep. In my search for the best blue light blocking glasses that improve sleep, I discovered and am sharing my Blublox Glasses review by Bon Charge. In short, I've personally seen the benefits of these science-backed blue light blockers and think they are 100% worth it, especially as a mom with babies and toddlers (…and frequent wakings).
Below, learn about Bon charge, including why they changed their name and other products they offer, the science behind blue light, and my first hand experience with Bon Charge's prescription blue light glasses. Plus tips on how to choose the right pair for you, and more!
- Bon Charge Review [formerly BluBlox]
- What is blue light?
- What are blue light blocking glasses?
- Bon Charge Glasses Overview
- Different types of Blublox glasses
- Benefits of Blublox glasses over other blue light blocking glasses
- Blublox Glasses Performance
- Who Should Use Blublox Glasses
- FAQs about Bon Charge Glasses
- Why did Blublox change its name to Bon Charge?
- How to choose the right Bon Charge glasses?
- How to clean and care for BluBlox glasses:
- Are the prescription options for Bon Charge glasses good?
- Can anyone benefit from wearing Blublox glasses?
- Do Blublox glasses have any side effects?
- Are Blublox glasses expensive?
- How long does it take to see results from wearing Blublox glasses?
- Can you wear blue light glasses all day?
- What is Bon Charge glasses warranty and return policy?
- Bon Charge discount code:
- Final thoughts
Bon Charge Review [formerly BluBlox]
Brief history of Bon Charge / Blublox
Bon Charge, formerly known as Blublox, is an Australian company founded in 2017 by Andy and Katie Mant after their personal experience with sleep issues due to blue light exposure.
They tried out several pairs of blue light glasses without significant improvement in a proper night's sleep, which led them to numerous studies on sleep improvement through blocking the correct bandings of light. After that, they set out to create blue light blocking glasses in line with the peer reviewed academic literate with great success.
Today, Bon Charge is one of the highest quality, best blue light blocking glasses on the market and also offers a wide selection of biohacking products from red light therapy to sauna blankets and more.
Bon Charge blue light blocking glasses:
- Computer glasses
- Gaming glasses
- Light sensitivity glasses
- Blue light blocking glasses
- Kids glasses
- Biohacked sunglasses
For the purpose of this post, we will use Blublox glasses and Bon charge glasses interchangeably.
You can read more about their name change here.
Additional products by Bon Charge:
- Cold & Heart therapy massage gun
- Cold therapy ice roller and ice roller ball
- Sleep masks
- EMF radiation & 5G products like headphones, laptop mats, harmonising stickers and bracelets, blankets, hats,laptop bags, pillow case, and phone pouch
- Infrared sauna blanket
- Various red light therapy devices
- Blue light free light bulbs
Overall, Bon Charge has become a leading brand in the blue light blocking glasses industry, with a strong commitment to quality, innovation, and customer satisfaction.
Before we jump into the Blublox glasses review, let's talk about blue light briefly and why these products matter.
What is blue light?
Blue light is a short wavelength form of visible light. It produces more energy than red light. Thus, when exposed to it incorrectly, it can give us more energy and throw off our circadian rhythms.
Today we have blue light everywhere. It's the artificial light on our phone screens, TV, computer screens, even the clock in our kitchen or the light on our toothbrush.
Before modern times, our only exposure to blue light was the sun during peak hours. It's why we feel so energized when out in it.
However during sunrise and sunset, the sun emits more red light than blue light. This signals our bodies natural melatonin which is a sleep hormone that impacts our circadian rhythm for quality sleep.
Additionally, one study found that blue light between 415 nm and 455 nm might lead to eye damage.
What are blue light blocking glasses?
Blue light blocking glasses are a good option to filter out varying levels of blue light before it reaches the eye to varying levels.
How to choose blue light blocking glasses:
Ultimately choosing blue light blocking glasses comes down to your intended use:
- Daytime: If you are seeking to prevent eye damage or digital eye strain and reduce exposure during the day, look for computer or light sensitivity glasses which block blue light between 400-455 nm.
- Night time: If you are seeking to improve sleep and it's after dark, opt for amber or red lenses which block blue and green light up to 550 nm; though it is not safe to drive in these.
Obviously style and quality are important factors as well. We've found Bon Charge excels in all of these areas. Including the fact they offer prescription lenses. More on that below though!
Bon Charge Glasses Overview
Bon Charge is committed to providing the highest quality blue light blocking glasses to their customers, while also promoting the importance of reducing blue light exposure for optimal health and wellness. Their products are made with high-quality materials, including German-engineered stylish frames and lenses that are tested to block 100% of blue light up to 550nm. Bon Charge also offers a range of styles and designs to suit different preferences and needs.
Different types of Blublox glasses
Bon Charge offers every single type of lens you could want when it comes to blue light glasses for adults and kids, including non-prescription, prescription, and readers.
They come in a wide variety of styles and offer a live try on preview to ensure you get the right fit.
How much blue light do different colored lenses filter?
Generally speaking you can expect:
- Clear lenses to filter roughly 20-30% of blue light
- Yellow roughly filters 50% of blue light
- Orange lenses filter roughly 75% of artificial blue light wavelengths
- Red lens blue-blocking filters 100% blue and some green frequencies.
You can click here to learn more about testing the effectiveness of your blue light glasses.
Benefits of Blublox glasses over other blue light blocking glasses
Advanced lens technology
Blublox glasses use advanced lens technology that is designed to block 100% of blue light up to 550nm, which is the range of blue light that is most harmful to our eyes and sleep quality. The lenses also have a unique color spectrum that is optimized for maximum blue light blocking and minimal color distortion.
Wide range of styles and options
Blublox offers a wide variety of trendy styles and options to choose from, including prescription glasses, clip-ons, and even children's sizes.
This means that you can find the perfect pair of glasses to fit your needs and style preferences.
Additionally, there's an option to do a digital try-on to ensure the best fit:
High-quality materials and construction
Bon Charge glasses are made with high-quality materials and construction, ensuring that they are durable and long-lasting. The frames are lightweight and comfortable to wear, and the lenses are scratch-resistant and easy to clean.
Additionally, their glasses are made by an optics laboratory and not in a factory which gives them access to high quality lenses compared to competitors using lower-quality materials.
Blublox glasses are backed by science and research, with studies showing that they can improve sleep quality, reduce eye strain, and even boost mood and productivity. This means that you can feel confident that you are investing in a product that is not only stylish but also beneficial for your health and wellbeing.
Excellent customer service
Blublox is known for providing excellent customer service and support. Their team is available to answer any questions you may have and help you find the perfect pair of glasses to fit your needs.
Bon Charge glasses are competitively priced with other high-quality blue light blocking glasses on the market. While some competitors may offer lower-priced options, the quality and effectiveness of those glasses may be lower as well.
You can also get 15% off your order with discount code TCM here!
Blublox Glasses Performance
Effectiveness of Blublox glasses in blocking blue light
On each glasses listing you will find the spectrometer test results with the percent of light filtered in nanometer wavelengths.
But here is also a photo I took through my Bon Charge lenses. You can see the blue is completely blocked:
Clinical studies and research supporting Bon Charge glasses
While I'm unsure of specific studies involving Blublox glasses here are a slew of recent clinical studies and research that a support the effectiveness of the light blocking spectrum Bon Charge glasses cover:
- “Protective effect of blue-blocking lenses on sleep quality and melatonin secretion in teenagers” – Journal of Adolescent Health (2019)
- “Blue Blockers Impair Photopic and Mesopic Visual Performance” – Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science (2017)
- “Blue-blocking lenses as a countermeasure for alerting effects of evening light-emitting diode screen exposure in male teenagers” – Journal of Adolescent Health (2015)
- “The Effects of Blue-Blocking Glasses on Sleep and Cognitive Performance in Children and Adolescents with ADHD: A Randomized Controlled Trial” – Journal of Attention Disorders (2021)
- “The Impact of Blue Light Blocking Glasses on Sleep and Performance in Elite Athletes” – Sports Medicine – Open (2020)
Bon Charge also collaborates with experts in the fields of sleep, wellness, and eye health to develop their products and ensure that they are backed by the latest scientific research.
User experiences and reviews of Blublox glasses
I stumbled across these on social media years ago and have found their special lenses to be the optimal blue blocker.
I was concerned about the amount of light, specifically indoor lighting, impacting my melatonin production and sleep quality as a mom waking up multiple times a night with little kids. I was finding it harder and harder to fall back asleep or feel rested.
My family members call these my “night time glasses” and have all gotten their own pair of blue light glasses now too! I notice a huge difference in how quickly I fall asleep when I wear these. I’ve had other brands in the past, and can confirm these are the best blue blocking glasses.
These have personally helped me reset my body clock, improve sleep, while reducing digital eyestrain and headaches.
The Australian brand has about 4,000 five star reviews with an average star rating of 4.94.
Here are some other customer reviews:
Who Should Use Blublox Glasses
Bon Charge glasses are designed to block blue light and improve sleep quality, reduce eye strain and fatigue, and mitigate the negative effects of blue light exposure on overall health. While anyone can benefit from wearing Blublox glasses, certain groups of people may find them particularly helpful.
Groups of people who can benefit from Blublox glasses
- People who work on computers or digital devices for extended periods: If you spend hours working on a computer, you may experience eye strain, headaches, and other symptoms of digital eye strain. Blublox glasses can reduce the amount of blue light that enters your eyes, helping to alleviate these symptoms.
- Individuals with insomnia or sleep-related issues: Blue light exposure before bedtime can interfere with the body's natural sleep-wake cycle, making it harder to fall asleep and stay asleep. Blublox glasses can help to reduce the amount of blue light that enters your eyes, improving sleep quality and duration.
- Individuals with ADHD or autism: People with ADHD or autism may experience heightened sensitivity to light, making it difficult to focus and concentrate. Blue light exposure can also exacerbate symptoms of hyperactivity and anxiety. Blublox glasses can help to reduce the amount of blue light that enters the eyes, potentially improving focus and reducing symptoms of hyperactivity and anxiety.
Benefits of Blublox Glasses for People with ADHD and Autism and Sleep Disorders
- Improved sleep quality: People with ADHD and autism may have difficulty sleeping, and may be particularly sensitive to the effects of blue light exposure. By reducing the amount of blue light that enters the eyes, Blublox glasses can help to improve sleep quality and duration.
- Reduced symptoms of hyperactivity and anxiety: Individuals with ADHD and autism may experience heightened sensitivity to light, which can exacerbate symptoms of hyperactivity and anxiety. Blublox glasses can help to reduce the amount of blue light that enters the eyes, potentially reducing these symptoms.
- Reduced eye strain and fatigue: People who work on computers or spend a lot of time on electronic devices may experience eye strain, headaches, and other symptoms of digital eye strain. Blublox glasses can reduce the amount of blue light that enters the eyes, helping to alleviate these symptoms.
FAQs about Bon Charge Glasses
Why did Blublox change its name to Bon Charge?
The company simply outgrew its name as they began offering a wider variety of biohacking products.
When they first started, they only sold blue light blocking glasses, thus the name BLUBlox made perfect sense. However now they offer EMF, cold therapy, and red lights which are more about biohacking (charging up the body for greater performance) and less about blocking blue light.
How to choose the right Bon Charge glasses?
Consider where you are currently experiencing the greatest distress. If you are having trouble sleeping, opt for the red lens blue and green light blocking glasses. If you are experiencing headaches or general fatigue, I'd suggest the light sensitivity glasses which are the perfect daytime blue light blocking glasses.
If you're still on the fence, click here for their lens guide to help you make the best choice.
How to clean and care for BluBlox glasses:
Due to the tinting on blue light blocking glasses you want to keep cleaning them simple. Either fog them up with some steam or use warm water on the lenses, then wipe clean with the provided Bon Charge cleaning cloth or another clean microfiber cloth.
Are the prescription options for Bon Charge glasses good?
Yes! The entire process was extremely easy and the glasses were accurate. Simply upload your prescription from your opthamologist. If any information is missing their customer service team will contact you to verify.
For instance, my pupillary distance was missing, they provided three options on how to get this information easily and send to them.
Prescription lenses obviously take longer than ready-to-ship orders but I found them 100% worth the wait.
Can anyone benefit from wearing Blublox glasses?
Yes, anyone can benefit from wearing Blublox glasses. They are particularly helpful for people who work on computers or spend a lot of time on electronic devices, as well as those with sleep disorders, ADHD, or autism.
Do Blublox glasses have any side effects?
Bon Charge glasses are generally safe and well-tolerated. However, depending on the blue light blocking level you chose it may not be safe to drive in them. Additionally, it can feel odd at first or “dull” the typical colorful experience of the world.
Are Blublox glasses expensive?
Blublox glasses are competitively priced with other high-quality blue light blocking glasses on the market. Prices can vary depending on the style and features of the glasses.
You can click here and use discount code TCM for 15% off.
How long does it take to see results from wearing Blublox glasses?
The benefits of wearing Blublox glasses may be noticeable immediately, especially when it comes to reducing eye strain and fatigue. It may take a few weeks of consistent use to see improvements in sleep quality and other health benefits.
Personally, I saw improvements the first time I wore my pair of Blublox glasses. I find the earlier in the evening I put them on, the earlier I want to go to bed. For instance, if I put them on at 7:30, I'm generally asleep by 9 pm. If I put them on at 8:30, I'm going to bed closer to 10 pm.
Can you wear blue light glasses all day?
Yes, you can wear blue light glasses all day.
I suggest Bon Charge's computer glasses if doing so, which still allow blue light in, thus you can see traffic lights or other safety lights you may need. If you're just staying home all day though, the light sensitivty glasses are anothergreat option.
What is Bon Charge glasses warranty and return policy?
Full priced items, or those purchased using a discount code, can be returned within 30 days of you receiving your item for an exchange, refund, or store credit.
Any items that are purchased when marked as “on sale”, during an advertised sale period or using a 25% promotional code can be returned for an exchange or store credit only.
Click here for a full list of their non-returnable items (which does include prescription and reading glasses).
Bon Charge discount code:
Use code TCM for 15% off your order here!
Bon Charge Blublox glasses are a great option to improve sleep, dry eyes, and migraines while combating eye fatigue and insomnia. Personally, I've experienced better sleep and less headaches. Their advanced lens technology and high-quality glasses seem to really protect my eyes from the harmful effects of blue light, while looking great.
Click here for 15% off your order with promo code TCM.
- Baby Carriers For Breastfeeding Moms
- Books On Attachment Theory
- Bon Charge BluBlox Glasses Review To Improve Sleep
- Designer Purses For Moms With Toddlers
- Nipple Creams for Breastfeeding + Pumping
- Maternity Bras + Nursing Bras
- Maternity Pants For Work + Casual Wear
- Maternity Pajamas
- Maternity Tights
- Maternity Yoga Pants + Leggings
- Postpartum Pads
- Postpartum Underwear
- Pregnancy Journals
- Pregnancy Supplements
- Pregnancy Support Belts
- Probiotics While Pregnant
- Shoes For Pregnancy
- Skincare Products During Pregnancy
- What To Wear After Giving Birth | Best Postpartum Clothes Home From Hospital
- How To Prepare For Labor
- How To Increase Your Odds Of Getting Pregnant
- First Time Mom Simple Birth Plan: Our Vision
- Songs To Make Baby Stop Crying
- How To Get A Amazon Baby Registry Welcome Box for FREE
- How To Travel Light With A Baby + Toddler
- Positive Birth Affirmations & What To Avoid [+ FREE PRINTABLE PDF!]
- How To Eat Healthy During Pregnancy [+ What I Eat In A Day While Pregnant]
- 8 First Trimester Symptoms [+ How To Work Through Them]
- Pregnancy Checklist: 15 Things To Do In The Second Trimester
- How To Deal With The Second Trimester of Pregnancy Symptoms
- Pregnancy Checklist: 21 Things To Do In The Third Trimester
- Postpartum Secrets From Midwives You NEED To Know Before Giving Birth
- After Two Pain-Free Natural Births Here Are My 5 Best Tips
- Best Minimalist Baby Registry Checklist: Must Haves + Skips
- HOME BIRTH VS HOSPITAL
- Shaving While Pregnant
- Home Birth Labor and Delivery Story + Vlog
- Fears About Pregnancy + Why It's Okay
- How To Manifest A Baby Girl
- Things They Don't Tell You About Being Pregnant
- Surprise! Pregnancy Announcement To My Husband
- Old Wives Tales Baby Predictions: Gender Reveal!
- How To Calm Anxiety While Pregnant: Personal Experience After A Panic Attack This Pregnancy
- Are Placenta Pills Good For You?
- Trouble Drinking Water During Pregnancy? 5 Tips To Stay Hydrated While Pregnant!
- What I Eat In A Day While Pregnant + Chasing A Toddler
- The VERY BEST Healthy Pregnancy Smoothie with Protein + Spinach!
- Winter Pregnancy Announcement Photos: Baby Number 2
- Positive Natural Birth Story At Hospital With First Baby
- Pregnancy & Body Image: 7 Ways To Love Yourself
- How To Eat Healthy During Pregnancy [+ What I Eat In A Day While Pregnant]