Adulting really f*cking sucks sometimes. Seriously, there's bills, laundry, errands… blech.
I actually ate grilled cheese all day (literally breakfast, lunch, and dinner) for 4 days straight a few months ago because I just couldn't adult that week.
So lately I keep seeing this crazy trend about adult coloring books on-line and in major retailers like Urban Outfitters, Target, and Michael's. I kept thinking to myself, what the heck is the deal with adult coloring books? Who actually would want to sit around and color pictures of the little mermaid like we are five years old again?
And then I saw this…
Seriously, could there be any more of a perfect adult coloring book? They sent me one to color and one to give away! So why the heck should you want an adult coloring book?
My masterpiece in progress!
1. Coloring actually de-stresses you! Seriously this is for real! Literally based on real science here: According to clinical psychology, Dr. Ben Michaelis, coloring is a “centering activity, the amygdala, which is the part of the brain that is involved with our fear response, actually gets a little bit of rest”.
2. Coloring is doctor prescribed! When I used to work as a therapist in treatment facilities, I always thought we had patients color mandala's because we were understaffed or too tired to run a process group, turns out it's actually backed by science! Apparently the father of analytical psychology, Carl Jung, used to prescribe it to patients and many doctors continue to prescribe it to help combat anxiety in patients! The counselor in me is totally geeking out over this!
3. You'll be more organized, focused, and ready to problem solve! According to this Washington Times Article, Leslie Marshall, clinical counselor reports coloring opens up the frontal lobe of your brain, which is home to organization and problem solving – thus focusing the brain.
4. Boosts self-awareness! As adults, we've built up a lot of ways to protect ourselves from getting hurt by the big bad world. Coloring can actually be a sneaky peak into our own complex minds according to this Huffington Post article and psychologist Antoni Martínez, who says “We can use it to enter into a more creative, freer state,” he assures. We can also use it to connect with how we feel since depending on our mood we choose different colors or intensity. “I myself have practiced that. I recommend it in a quiet environment, even with chill music. Let the color and the lines flow.” Which leads us too…
5. It's self-expression! Seriously you get to choose the rules! F*ck everybody and everything and do you!
You can color the Little Mermaid if you want or you can color the “You Can Do Whatever The Fuckety Fuck You Want” coloring book! I seriously love it!
THE WINNER OF THE GIVEAWAY IS @Shara_Woodlee!!
38 thoughts on “5 Reasons to Get an Adult Coloring Book”
Oh my goodness! I was just looking up funny adult coloring books on Amazon last night! This one is perfect!! Fingers crossed I win haha!!
Thanks for entering Caroline!
I think adult coloring books are cool! I have a couple of really pretty ones, but I never take the time to use them.
Girl make the time! even the smell of the crayons brought a smile to my face!
I love my adult colouring books (and also my Harry Potter one, which is adult level difficulty with scenes from the movie!) but the one you have is WAY funnier than mine.
I may or may not have had a cup of coffee yesterday morning and coloured on my balcony. it was awesome
Laura @ http://www.cookwineandthinker.com
Haha I think I would love the harry potter one!!
Comments are closed.